FALIRAKI - GREECE - PART 1

At the time of writing I have spent the best part of 20 months of my life in a foreign country so looking back I still find it hard to believe that I was 23 years old before I had set foot out of the British isles. Through my own stupidity I had missed out on the holiday in Magaluf the previous year and this time I was determined not to miss out.



Walking through Coalville one Saturday morning I bumped into Mat Hall and Terry Glover who were about to book a holiday and in a spur of the moment decision joined them and we were soon sorted out to go Tenerife for 2 weeks. I had worked with both of them for sometime and knew both of them since my early teens, however they were not my "usual crowd." Mat Hall seemed a good choice to go with because he had been on loads of foreign holidays before. Terry on the other hand was a bit crazy whenever alcohol was involved and lots of people thought I was mad to be going on a foreign holiday with him.

Within 2 weeks there was a change of plan, a big group of regulars in Mat Halls local pub the Lady Janewere going to Faliraki so we changed our holiday to go with them. Some of them I knew well and some I knew only by sight, but in theory over a dozen lads going away together looked like being one crazy and wild holiday.



After a lot of build up and hearing loads of stories of what it would be like we finally left from Birmingham airport late on Saturday evening. I was ok about flying for the first time but then again we did start drinking as soon as we got on the plane. Arriving after midnight I had my first tropical heat blast. We went straight out to a quiet but open 24 hours bar got talking to a few people and had a reasonable start to the holiday.

First full day I had a stomach upset probably the dodgy in flight food but was well enough to go out at night. We went to a nearby hotel had a few beers, met the holiday reps and loads of other people. Not long before we were due to hit the town Terry suddenly phoned for a taxi and asked us all to get in it. Thinking he wanted to go into town early we jumped in only for him to ask us to get out at our accommodation a few hundred yards down the road.

Terry then tells us that loads of the local Greek Lads are "staring at him" and refused to go out. I didn't have a clue what the hell he was going on about. If there was anything dodgy we would all be part of a massive group in a crowded bar or club anyway. But he refused to listen and we spent the first full night sitting in the apartment arguing.



The second night was what a Greek island holiday at the age of 22 should be like. We met up as per the previous night and went on a massive bar crawl with loads of other people. The reps were constantly topping our drinks up with loads of vodka. Even Mat said that it was one of the most crazy nights on holiday he has ever had. We got split up but that was not a problem. The other crowd that we had changed our holiday to go with were staying on the other side of the town. We bumped into them that night and found out where they were staying.

The next couple of nights however were a bit dull, we went to a few organized activities done by the holiday reps. One night their was a comedian who just was not even remotely funny, then the next night we were told we were going to spend the night at a wild beach party. When we got there only about 20 people turned up so after that we didn't bother any more and done our own thing. In theory a dozen young lads in a wild holiday town should be able to have a great time.

Or so I thought.....

No comments:

Post a Comment