NAPIER & GISBORNE - NEW ZEALAND



Backpacking round the world is not all fun and games as there are always some fairly low points. I hit rock bottom by the time I had arrived in Napier for reasons outlined on the "This is why I didn't like New Zealand" entry.

The hostel contained a handful of old people and that was it, the weather was awful and I was quickly finding out that finding employment was not as easy as the websites back home seemed to make out.

When the weather stopped raining I got the bus to the nearby town of Hastings for a look round and ended up doing the long walk back. On the way I discovered a farm advertising for seasonal workers that had sent back a "no work available" e-mail to me that very same morning.




I got out of there and headed up north on the scenic coast road to Gisborne.



When I got there it was almost the exact same situation as in Napier. I did meet an interesting bloke who had cycled all the way from Germany and climbed a nearby hill with a good view.



I headed on again to Tauranga, the first thing I told the hostel owner on arrival was that I was interested in finding work and the situation I was in. The first thing she told me is that she had a stream of backpackers who were also going for jobs only to find out they didn't exist. She was even on about complaining to the newspapers about it.

At this point I gave myself a week, anything less than a job offer after that time and I would be on the next flight out of that country.

No comments:

Post a Comment