DUBROVNIK - CROATIA

After the previous border crossing this one was quick easy and painless and I didn’t lose anything!!!!! I wasn’t staying in the center of Dubrovnik, the hostel was a few miles out of town in an area full of houses. I had to sleep in the common room the first night as they made a mistake with my booking which was not the best start. As with the previous 2 countries I wasn’t going to get to go on a tour due to the lack of people.

The good news was that there was a great crowd of people at the hostel. It was a case of go straight to the nearest shop grab some beer and drink with the crowd until late. There were 5 other English people a group of 3 men in their 40s who were ok and 2 girls around the age of 20. After a while the girls got very loud and obnoxious to the point where the hostel owners started to complain. One knocked over and smashed a bottle without any concern, these were the type of people I don’t like to see in hostels. We did have the idea of going to a bar nearby but the local area was completely dead, I had a bit of an argument with the 2 girls in the process and was glad to be sleeping in the common room.
I was up and out fairly early, the plan was to see the old town properly the second day and do other stuff on the first day. I did the cable car above the old city which had great views in most directions.

 
I did a very brief walk through the center of the old city where I seen a glass bottom boat trip. Not something I had done for a very long time I thought I would give it a go. The views of the surrounding area were good. Unfortunately the view out the glass bottom was very bad, most of the time it was just rocks with the occasional fish. I seen more fish in the 5 minutes walking round the harbour near the bus station (pictured above) than the half hour on that boat.
The previous few days in Kotor had took it out of me and I didn’t feel like doing much else. The Friday night went much the same as the previous night except less alcohol, less noise and no arguments.
Saturday was for the old town, even in October the place was full of tourists. Every part of the town was packed full of tourist oriented stuff. When several friends went in 2001 it was fairly off the beaten track but now it was definitely on it. To be honest it was hardly a surprise.
I did the city wall walk which took a couple of hours purely due to the volume of people. I walked most of the old city after then headed back along the coastal footpaths in the general direction of the hostel. I have to admit that after going to Kotor I was getting a bit of what would best be described as “old city burnout”.
Saturday night we were meant to be all going out but by 11PM we were all still sitting around drinking and talking in the common room. I had to get up early for my flight the following morning and with an early start at work after on Monday it wasn’t going to happen.
Overall it had been a good part of the world to visit, cheap, good weather and good scenery. Losing my bank cards and the lack of nightlife were the only downsides. I would come back and see more of Croatia………..

No comments:

Post a Comment