MILAN - ITALY

It was going to be another 3 city / 9 night trip into Europe at the minimum of traveling time after the last trips lengthy flight into central Asia. Vienna and Bratislava being so close together looked like a good choice. All I needed was one more to go with them, Italy had never been high up on the places I wanted to visit but when I seen a flight from East midlands to Milan straight after work on Friday it almost picked itself.
I was actually flying to an airport over an hour from the city center, combined with the fact the hostel I wanted to stay at was booked Friday night anyway. I stayed near the airport even managing half hours conversation with a Russian couple and made the journey into the city the following morning.  I got slightly lost going back to the airport and later trying to find my hostel but was checked in before midday.
I went straight onto the hop on hop off bus and spent a few hours walking around Sforzesco Castle and the area near it. Then it was back on the bus completing the loop around the football stadium. The weather was good on both Saturday and Sunday so I wanted to stay outdoors as much as possible.
Arriving back at the hostel I was very tired, in the evening the place was packed out as it also functions as a cafe/bar open to the public. Conversation with other travelers was a bit limited and I was in bed before 10:30. Got bitten and woken by mosquitos on both nights worse than any previous travels. Counted 11 bites just on my left hand a few days later !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Up early and out early on my only proper full day in Milan, I headed to the San Siro to do the stadium and museum tour. I'd done a similar tour in Madrid 2 years earlier and that was far better, all you got was a short walk round then straight into a small museum and shop I was out in less than 20 minutes. Very poor especially when you consider the stadium is home to 2 football clubs.
I walked back to the center where a running race was taking place and everywhere was packed full of people, I got straight back on the bus where I covered the rest of the hop on hop offs 3 routes.
The second evening in the hostel was a lot more social than the first thanks to a group of 3 from Japan who moved into my dorm room. Conversation, a few drinks and watching a football match in the basement made things feel a lot better. It seemed a bit strange seeing a group of local lads watching a match drinking red wine.
Overall I found the city a bit flash and upmarket for my taste which was probably the reason why Italy wasn't high priority to visit in the first place, the streets seemed to be full of very pricey clothes shops and eating places.
I had a few hours to kill monday morning so walked around giardini pubblici for an hour before heading to the airport and flying to Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment