VIENNA - AUSTRIA

Didn’t arrive in Vienna until the evening so it was a case of a quick walk around then to the hostel bar. As expected it looked and felt very similar to Germany, found the hostel to be a far more social place than in Milan talked to more people in half an hour than the previous 3 nights.

One person turned out not only to be from Loughborough but knew Emma (uncle David’s wifes daughter). Didn’t go anywhere else that night but it was a good start……………..

I’d overdosed a bit on bus tours the previous couple of days so I opted for a quick 90 minute one this time around then used the information picked up on it to choose where to go later that day and the following day.

First was the observation deck slightly outside the city center, it was a bit of a grim cloudy day so the photos at the top were not great. There were only 2 other people at the top and they didn’t stay long because of the wind. One annoyance was the camera being shoved in your face going in then having someone trying to charge you an extortionate amount for the picture on the way out. 

I did what could be best described as a self walking tour combined with eating all the way back to the hostel. On trips like this I usually just grab food on the go like hot dogs and pizza slices, I only have sit down meals when I meet other travelers.
In the evening a group of 5 met in the hostel and headed out to a nearby bar. It was a fairly good night out if a little crowded. Drinks were nowhere near as expensive as expected almost half the cost of Milan. I reached a point where going out drinking and meeting other travelers did take priority over seeing the actual countries I was in. However I was making up for earlier trips when I was in hostels with few people or not the right people Bishkek and Ljubljana for example.

Despite my late night I dragged myself up early to go to the natural history museum, not usually a person to linger in museums long but this one was massive and I was inside for well over 2 hours. As with the previous day it was a case of self walking tour finishing up at Auer-Welsbach-Park.
No hectic late night as I was heading out the following morning, didn’t want to leave and overall Vienna was the best of the 3 cities on the trip. It was a simple 1 hour train ride to Bratislava.

No comments:

Post a Comment