BRUSSELS AND LUXEMBOURG

Easter weekend = time away, I’d looked at flights to more distant locations but I’d not done the hostel thing in Belgium before so it was an easyish trip on the eurostar. I’d originally wanted to stay in Luxembourg but the lack of hostels meant I was staying in Brussels and doing it on a day trip instead.

Unfortunately due to 12 hour shifts I had to catch the last train to London, stay in a hostel at Kings cross then catch the eurostar the following morning. It wasn’t the best nights sleep to say the least. A slight GPS malfunction delayed my walk to the hostel but got there no problem. I started off with a walk round in the early evening and got a feel of the place.


In the evening I got talking to a French person in my dorm room but once his 4 friends arrived I hardly seen them again for the rest of the weekend. I had a couple of beers in the hostel bar but that was unusually quiet for such a big place on a Friday night. Due to long working hours and lack of sleep I missed the early walking tour and did the late one instead.


We covered the central area in under 3 hours and it ranked as one of the better ones I did. I wanted to sign up for the beer tour but that was fully booked so extended the walking tour myself for a bit longer. The atmosphere in the bar at night was poor to the point where I was glad to have an excuse to go bed early.




Sunday was the long day trip to Luxembourg city, it took around 4 hours where we then had a partly guided tour around the scenic area. It seemed a bit too upmarket for my taste and I was glad I didn’t stop there. After we had around 2 hours free time before heading back on the bus.

On the way we stopped at Mardasson memorial but unfortunately didn’t have time to visit the museum which was a bit of a let down.

I got talking to a few people at night but the atmosphere was so dead in the hostel I was glad to be tired from the long daytrip.

On the Monday the plan was to visit a few places before heading home however I didn’t realize I had gone to the wrong train station as I hadn’t checked when I first arrived where the eurostar was. Thankfully I had plenty of time to reach the station but missed out on the things I wanted to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment